Monday, March 30, 2015

what are you afraid of..

Halji Village, Humla | June 2013
I was returning home from my morning college on a safa tempo, seated on the front, next to the driver. I couldn't make up my mind. I was trying to decide on a song and was moving randomly through the music play-list on my phone. Seeing the tempo was half empty (yea not half full...) the driver stopped at Lainchaur to wait for passengers. I looked out of the small window on my left and saw a homeless person. He was sitting on the pavement, leaning back on the wall. I think he had a small tattered mat spread to sit on. His few belongings - three old worn out bags of different shapes and sizes, dirt hiding their dull colors, were spread around him to support him so he could be more comfortable in his temporary arrangement. He seemed to be in his late thirties, had a Mongolian face, sparse beard...someone from hills or higher....Himalayas, I thought. His white cap and old down-jacket were dirty, going too long without a wash. What are you doing so far from home? My mind began to wander. On a different life,...

I see him on a Himalayan pasture tending to his flock of sheep. Tashi delek dai I greet him and he returns the greeting getting curious of the traveller. Tired from walking I take a break to wait for my friends. I hop out of my big blue trekking bag and start a conversation. I ask him and he tells me he's from the village I passed by an hour earlier where we'd stopped briefly for a cup of tea. He tells me about his life on the mountains, his plans, his family and dreams. I tell him about mine...I tell him how much I love travelling and meeting people and being out there. I tell him I'm searching for my questions. He has a carefree smile on his face. 

On the sidewalk few pedestrians pass by left and right hurrying on their business, and their different lives. He was holding something in his hand. I couldn't see it properly from where I was. With a little spit to wet his finger he began polishing the surface of the object. I figured it was his wristwatch. He seemed content, oblivious to the rest of the world. Still working on his watch he slowly looked around and his eyes met mine. For a split second. I quickly averted my gaze. I tried to make it look natural I let my eyes wander around a bit and back. It seemed like he was deep in thought, the peaceful smile still playing on his face below his sparse moustache. The tempo started moving and soon he was lost from my view.

No comments:

Post a Comment